Balkan style green beans and potato stew
Easy recipe for green beans and potato stew. Balkan-style, one-pot dish.
The recipe for this stew is adapted from what I remember having for dinner in my childhood. You can find it all over the web – this typical dish for the Balkan region is surely popular.
The Greeks call it fasolakia. There are Bosnian, Bulgarian and other variations of this dish all around the region. It’s a very affordable vegan meal and it’s typical for the Balkans for a very simple reason.
Politically, the Balkans are a poorer region of Europe so many traditional recipes over the years have evolved around this simple fact. They have to be cheap, with ingredients that are locally available, and nutritious.
My adapted green beans and potato stew absolutely complies with all 3 requirements. This stew is:
- Very nutritious – the combo of potatoes and green beans gives you lots of good carbs and different proteins, as well as vitamins from the veggies
- All vegetables are locally available in all seasons
- Every ingredient is very affordable
Ready to get started? Here we go!
- A can of green beans / or string beans. You can use raw green beans too, but you have to cook them longer
- 4-5 medium sized potatoes
- 1 carrot
- 1 red onion
- Half a can of chickpeas – optional
- 1 zucchini – also optional
- Salt and paprika to taste
You will need a big oven dish for this recipe. Preheat your oven to medium temperature. In the meantime, slice the carrot and onion. Add cubed zucchini and half a can of chickpeas. Place all in the oven dish, mix well and add 2-3 tablespoons olive oil.
Fry in the oven for about 10 minutes until the ingredients soften. Add salt and paprika and leave in the oven for 5 more minutes.
Cut the potatoes in cubes and add them along with the green beans in the tray. Pour 2 glasses of water. Cook until the potatoes are soft in the middle – about 50 minutes. You can thicken the dish with some cornstarch if you wish.
That’s it, we’re ready!
Did you make this recipe? Show me your photos in the comments below or share with your friends!