Deliciously sweet puff pastry fold overs with apricot jam
Today I want to show you a very simple recipe for a quick breakfast or dessert that was very popular when I was growing up. This is the puff pastry fold overs, filled with various stuffings. I make them in various shapes, but the fold overs are some of the easiest.
Also called danish pastries, these delicious pieces come in different shapes and sizes. Making them can be a work of art. There are many videos showing different forms of the pastries.
I’ve chosen a simple enough shape – the puff pastry fold overs. There are many more versions out there, so get creative with the stuffing and shaping. I’m using a jam filling today, bu many different products can be used:
- fruit jam
- nut butter
- cheese (vegan or dairy)
- … and many more
Also, the puff pastry fold overs can be made vegan or vegetarian as you choose.
- vegan: use a vegan brand of puff pastry – check out here which brands are vegan and use only water or sugar-water mix for ‘gluing’ the shape together
- vegetarian: use any type of puff pastry, experiment with dairy cheese stuffing, egg yolk wash can be used to ‘glue’ the fold overs
Since I made my puff pastry fold overs with vegan stuffing, I did not use egg wash. This explains why the shape opened up and the stuffing is showing. I’ve used the same recipe and shape in the past but with egg wash on top and the puff pastry stays together without opening up.
- Packet of frozen puff pastry (vegan or regular brand)
- For the stuffing – apricot jam or anything sweet or savory of your choice
- Optional: egg wash
I always leave my frozen puff pastry at room temperature for about an hour. That makes it softer and easier to work with. I don’t unfreeze it in the microwave or any type of heat.
- When the puff pastry is soft, unroll the sheet and lightly press it with a rolling pin to smooth it over. Cut the pastry sheet into large squares or rectangles.
- Place half a tablespoon of apricot jam (or any stuffing you choose) in the middle of the squares.
- Start folding your puff pastry fold overs as shown it the gallery and the video below. Use water to glue the edges together or egg yolk wash.
- Bake in the oven at 200 C or 400 F for about 20 minutes until golden.
You can let your imagination go wild with shapes and stuffings for puff pastry! I guarantee you that everyone loves them – children and adults alike.
Did you like my recipe? Share and comment your favorite puff pastry shape and stuffing!