Simple, quick and easy vegan quinoa lentil dal – serve over mashed potatoes or potato salad
I have a very simple recipe for you today. Protein-packed and very delicious, this quinoa lentil dal is a must-try.
You can spice it up or serve it simple, like me. It’s great served over mashed potato – which is a classic option. But I decided to use a variation and served it over potato salad. Boiled white rice is another option.
I choose to cook red lentil today and mix it with quinoa exactly because
- it’s easy and hassle-free
- it’s protein-packed, great for a busy day if you need the extra energy
- I needed the rich taste and aroma and creamy texture that melts in your mouth
More lentil recipes from me:
- Vegan lentil moussaka – gluten free
- Hearty winter red lentil stew – vegan
- My 30 minute red lentil bolognese sauce
- Vegan green lentil stew with mushrooms and broccoli
In terms of spices I let the veggies and tomato puree be the main flavour of this quinoa lentil dal. For an added, richer taste I used some cumin – it always makes my dishes just that little bit extra.
If you like spicy food, you should definitely add some spicy red pepper or red curry paste – it will go so well with this rich and tasty dish! Also, a drizzle of coconut cream – and you’re in heaven!
- One large yellow onion
- Four or five large white mushrooms
- Two cloves of garlic
- Two tablespoons tomato puree
- One teaspoon cumin
- One teaspoon salt
- Optional – cooking oil to sautee, one teaspoon red curry paste
- Half a cup of red lentil
- Half a cup of white quinoa
Finely chop all veggies and sautee in a wok-style pan for about 10 minutes. Add the tomato paste and other spices and stir well.
Add the red lentil and quinoa and pour 2 cups of water if you want a thick dish or 3 cups if you want a more creamy texture. Broil over ow to medium heat for about 30 minutes or until ready.
Serve over mashed potato, boiled white rice or potato salad like me.
Made this recipe? Share and comment below!