A quick and easy recipe for the weekday rush – vegan rice and veggies
Today I have a lightning-fast recipe to show you. I made this especially for those days when you’re running late for basically everything. You know it – time is running short and fancy food is not a priority. This is why I improvised and made my weekday vegan rice and veggies.
It took me just 10 minutes of preparation. After that, the dish cooks itself for about 20 minutes until you set the table. So, you can have lunch or dinner from scratch in about 30 minutes. And it’s healthy, vegan and gluten-free. What more could you want?
So, let’s check out my weekday vegan rice and veggies recipe! I promise, it’s very simple and everyone can do it. It only relies on having some frozen veggies at your disposal. If you don’t have a packet of frozen veggies, you can substitute with any fresh vegetable you have at home. You can also use instead:
- leftover veggies
- stewed veggies or anything in a jar, pickled etc
Let’s mix and match those veggies and take a look at my weekday vegan rice and veggies recipe below!
- A packet of any frozen vegetable mix you have at hand.
I used a Mexican-style mix. It contains sweet corn, green peas, red kidney beans, green beans and carrots.
- Three – four tablespoons cooking oil of choice
- Spice mix (oregano, salt) to taste
- One cup Jasmine rice (substitute with any rice if you don’t have Jasmine)
- Start by heating a large iron skillet with the cooking oil at medium temperature. Add your frozen veggie mix straight from the packet and broil it in the pan for about 10 minutes until it softens and all the ice has melted.
- Add spices of choice. I used some oregano and salt to taste.
- Add the Jasmine rice and let it fry up a bit with the vegetable mix and oil. No more than 3-4 minutes.
- Leave the heat on medium and add 3 cups of water per 1 cup of Jasmine rice. Check the instructions on the packet for any specifics to the rice you choose to use.
- Broil for about 25 minutes or until the rice soaks up the water.
That’s it, we’re ready to serve our weekday vegan rice and veggies! Bon appetit!
Check out more recipes with rice from me: